A greater number of stakeholders involved in wildfire management will be able to access a recent publication on wildfire prevention, thanks to translations into Spanish and Catalan languages.
Key recommendations on wildfire prevention in the Mediterranean urges collaborative action and shared responsibility among stakeholders to safeguard the region’s natural landscapes for future generations. The translations allow the document to reach a wider number of these stakeholders, with further Mediterranean language editions currently in preparation.
Effective wildfire prevention and risk reduction can be enhanced across the region by harnessing synergies and harmonising the wealth of scientific and technical guidance existing at subnational, national, and regional levels across the Mediterranean.
The publication, led by the European Forest Institute (EFI) and Spain’s Ministry for the Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge (MITECO) as coordinator of the FAO Silva Mediterranea Working Group on Forest Fires, brings together contributions from leading experts to synthesise the main discussions, accommodate interests raised in different fora, and highlight the further measures still required.
Published in May 2023, Key Recommendations on wildfire prevention in the Mediterranean is updated from the original document, Position paper on wildfire prevention in the Mediterranean, published in 2011 by FAO. The recommendations focus on six key areas, with each one including specific proposed actions designed to enhance forest fire prevention and mitigate risks.
- Integrating wildfire prevention into existing programmes, policies, and adaptation strategies;
- Governance models as a cornerstone;
- Developing sustainable financial mechanisms to ensure implementation and continuation of wildfire prevention measures;
- Knowledge generation, education, and awareness of society;
- Harmonising information systems as the basis for sharing information and understanding the complex reality of wildfires;
- International cooperation.
All translations are available from the Key Recommendations on Wildfire Prevention in the Mediterranean webpage.