The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organisation with 30 member countries and around 120 associate and affiliate member organisations. EFI undertakes forest research and policy support at pan- European and global level, with headquarters located in Joensuu, Finland. EFI has its other main offices in Barcelona, Bonn and Brussels.
EFI is seeking a Junior Researcher to join our Mediterranean Facility in Barcelona, Spain, to provide support in research, project management, and outreach.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Conduct and collate research on various topics at the interface of forests, environment and socioeconomics (e.g., forest adaptation to climate change, forest resilience and disturbances, forest conservation and management, deforestation, agroforestry, ecosystem services, non-wood forest products, wood mobilisation, innovation, and digitalization) in the Mediterranean basin, Europe and beyond.
- Support the implementation of project tasks e.g., participate in collaborative reports, collect, and synthesise knowledge from different sources and curate in on-line repositories [either existing or to be developed], support information exchange with partners and with project stakeholders, contribute to the animation of thematic networks, perform literature reviews, liaise with project communication teams.
- Support the organisation and implementation of events, and funding activities e.g., support for proposal writing.
- Support EFIMED’s science outreach, networking, communication, and administrative activities.
- Master’s degree in forestry, or in other topic related to forestry, environment or management of natural resources.
- Excellent abilities to synthesize, analyse, write and communicate.
- Good interpersonal and proactive organisational skills, ability to multi-task, to work under time pressure, and to be service-minded and flexible as part of a small team.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; French, Spanish and other languages are an asset.
- Excellent command of MS Office software and a willingness to learn new IT skills.
- Previous work and internship experiences in international research projects, including in international environments and related to forests, are an asset.
The position will be based at EFI’s office in Barcelona, Spain.
EFI offers competitive benefits and salary package. The employment will be for an initial duration of 2 years (including a probationary period of 6 months), with the possibility for further extension depending on project opportunities and the successful candidate’s performance.
EFI offers an inspiring, dynamic international and multicultural working environment, varying duties and opportunities to learn new skills. The successful candidate will be expected to take up the position in November 2022.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are requested to send (in English) a CV including copies of academic degree certificates/diplomas with a motivation letter by 5th September 2022, using our online application form.
For more information about the post, please contact supervisor: Dr Magda Bou Dagher Kharrat, Principal Scientist at: Magda.firstname.lastname@example.org
EFI is an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be treated confidentially. Please note that only candidates that have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted.