The European Forest Institute’s Mediterranean Facility (EFIMED) is seeking a Junior Researcher to provide support in research, project management and science outreach. The position will be based at EFI’s office in Barcelona, Spain.
EFIMED promotes and conducts research, policy advice and networking on Mediterranean forests, forestry and forest products. The facility has a strong focus on capacity building on key scientific priorities identified for the Mediterranean region and brings a Mediterranean perspective to EFI’s three strategic areas of focus: Bioeconomy, Resilience and Governance.
The main responsibilities and qualifications required for this vacancy are as follows:
- Conduct research on various topics at the interface of forests, environment and socioeconomics (e.g., incentives and policies for forest conservation and management, ecosystem services, resilience to wildfires, deforestation, climate change) in the Mediterranean, Europe and beyond.
- Support the implementation of project tasks (e.g., literature reviews, collaborative reports, scientific articles), events and funding (proposal writing).
- Support EFIMED’s science outreach, networking, communication, and administrative activities.
- Master’s degree in economics, forestry, human geography, or other degree related to socioeconomics and management of natural resources.
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Good interpersonal and proactive organisational skills, ability to multi-task, to work under time pressure, and to be service-minded and flexible as part of a small team.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, at least basic knowledge of Spanish; French and other languages are an asset.
- Excellent command of MS Office software, good computing skills, and a willingness to learn new IT skills.
- Previous work and internship experiences, including in international environments and related to forests, are an asset.
The successful candidate will be expected to take up the position in early 2022. Interested candidates are requested to send (in English) a CV including copies of academic degree certificates/diplomas with a motivation letter by 6th December 2021, using our online application form.