A new European association, “Eurocastanea,” was created at the European Chestnut Meeting (EUROCASTA) held in mid-September, in Plasencia (Extremadura, Spain). With the purpose of defending the common interests of producers, industrialists and commercial operators of the European chestnut sector, representatives from Spain, France, Portugal and Italy formalised the constitution of Eurocastanea.
This supranational association also intends to promote dialogue, concertation and common actions among its members, who will:
- Reinforce the representation of the sector in European institutions and national and regional public administrations.
- Contribute to the renewal of the European chestnut sector.
- Support and promote the organisation of the European Chestnut Meeting in the various European regions.
- Organise meetings to promote cooperation between the technical, scientific and economic fields.
- Collaborate with the R+D+i field for the development of effective solutions to the problems identified in the chestnut tree.